PRIVACY AND COOKIES POLICY
Empiribox Limited (“We”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of applicable data protection legislation (meaning, prior to 25 May 2018 the Data Protection Act 1998 and, from 25 May 2018 the General Data Protection Regulation and any legislation which implements it) the data controller is Empiribox Limited of Building R71, Office G17a Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell, Didcot, England OX11 0QX.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following personal data about you:
- Information that you provide to through our website empiribox.org (the “Site”). This includes information provided to us via any contact or enquiry form on the Site or if you contact us in connection with any of our services, including the “Empiribox Science Service for Schools”. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with the Site.
- User content including photographs, videos and other content that you choose to share on the Site and any associated content including comments that you post to the Site.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- Details of your visits to the Site, the resources that you access, and how you access them. This may include information about the device you are using, how your device interacts with the Site (for example crashes and system activity), your search queries and information about your actual location at the time of using the Site.
- Information about your computer, including (where available) your IP address, operating system and browser type. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns.
- If you use any third party services that are interoperable with the Site, or where you follow a link from the Site to such third party service providers, we may receive information from the third parties about your use of those services.
Using our Online Portal
Purposes and legal basis for using your personal data
We will process your personal data in order to provide the Site to you and where you have chosen to access our Online Portal we will process your personal data in order to allow you to access that and make use of the content available through that Online Portal in connection with the “Empiribox Science Service for Schools”.
We also use your personal data to pursue our legitimate interests in providing and marketing our services to you, improving the Site, services and interactions with you and other users by:
- Ensuring that content from the Site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device;
- Improving the services we provide in the short-term, for example by providing you with more relevant search results;
- Improving the services we provide over the longer-term by understanding how you and other user’s interact with the Site.
- Serving recommendations to you through the Site and through other channels (such as email) about other information or services which we think may be of interest to you based on your preferences and usage patterns both on the Site and in relation to our communications with you on other channels (such as email).
- Notifying you about changes to our services
In some cases, we may also use your information to comply with our legal obligations, or to enter into or perform a contract with you or in connection with our performance of a contract with a school at which you are employed or engaged.
Where we have your consent, we may also send you marketing communications (for example, email newsletters). You can withdraw this consent at any time by contacting us using the email address under the Contact section below.
We may share aggregated and anonymised information publicly and with our partners. For example, we may share information with our partners to help them understand how our service is used, or publicly to show trends about the general use of our service.
We use a range of analytics tools (for example, Google Analytics) to understand user behaviour on the Site and other channels (such as email). This allows us to see how a particular user (identified by their IP address or to a specific user registration) accesses and interacts with the Site and any content we may send to you (e.g. email).
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of third parties:
- Suppliers that provide services to us which require the processing of your personal data (e.g. IT storage providers).
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Empiribox Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its clients will be one of the transferred assets.
Where we store and transfer your personal data
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored in, a country outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. Countries outside the EEA may not have laws which provide the same level of protection to your personal data as laws within the EEA. Where this is the case we will put in place appropriate safeguards to ensure that such transfers comply with applicable data protection laws.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Under applicable data protection law you have certain rights with respect to the personal data we hold about you. These may include rights to: request a copy of the personal data that we hold, request that we correct personal data if it is inaccurate, request that we erase or block your personal data, and to object to our processing of your personal data. These rights are limited in some situations. For example, if we have a legal requirement or a compelling legitimate ground we may continue to process your data even where you request its deletion.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us using the details in the Contact section below.
You also have the right to make a complaint if you feel your personal data has been mishandled. We encourage you to come to us in the first instance but you are also entitled to complain directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) (if you are in the UK), or to your local data protection authority (if you are outside the UK).
How long we keep your information
We will retain your personal data for as long as you use the Site and for a reasonable time thereafter. If you would like us to delete the information, please contact us using the details in the Contact section below and we will respond in a reasonable time and manner. Please note that we may also be required to retain certain information by law.
Third Party Services
The Site may contain links to other websites, apps and resources provided by third parties. In addition, we make our service available for third parties to create products and services that are interoperable with our services. If you use any third party service which is interoperable with the Site or follow a link from the Site to any third party service, please note that they have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these services provided by third parties.
Changes to our Privacy and Cookies Policy
Any changes we may make to our privacy and cookies policy in the future will be posted on this page.
If you have any questions, comments or requests regarding this privacy and cookies policy then please contact us by email at email@example.com or call on 020 8226 6130.